Azure SQL Data Warehouse has evolved into Azure Synapse Analytics. Azure SQL Data Warehouse was a cloud-based, scale-out, relational database that used massively parallel processing (MPP) to process and store large amounts of data on the Microsoft Azure cloud platform. The MPP, scale-out technology of Azure SQL Data Warehouse is at the heart of Azure Synapse (referred to as Synapse SQL pool). Microsoft has, however, added a few additional features to make this a more powerful and unique data analytics solution on the market.
To begin with, Azure Synapse is a service platform that combines cloud data warehousing and big data analytics into a single platform. That means that if you’re deciding whether you need a cloud data warehouse, a data lake, or both, Azure Synapse Analytics can help you with both. You can either use serverless on-demand resources or provisioned resources to query data. You can ingest, transform, and prepare data for advanced analytics with Power BI and Azure Machine Learning all in one place.
- A modern data architecture is complemented by a number of other enhancements included in the product, including:
- Intelligent workload management, workload isolation, and limitless concurrency are all examples of workload optimization.
- Integration of business intelligence and machine learning with Microsoft Dynamics software, Office 365, and any other SaaS service that supports the Open Data Initiative.
- Within the Azure Synapse studio, a unified analytics experience for developing end-to-end solutions is available.
- Business analysts, data engineers, and data scientists can use cloud-native HTAP integration to get the most up-to-date operational data for their analytics.
- To protect real-time data, advanced security features such as automated threat detection, always-on encryption, fine-grained access control at column and row levels, and dynamic data masking are available.
How can you leverage Azure Synapse Analytics in your organization?
By leveraging the power and scale of the cloud, Azure Synapse Analytics goes beyond enabling cost-effective data management and analytics: By integrating with Power BI and Azure Machine Learning and AI, Azure Synapse will break down silos that exist today due to teams, data, and skills, and enable insights for all.By leveraging the power and scale of the cloud, Azure Synapse Analytics goes beyond enabling cost-effective data management and analytics: By integrating with Power BI and Azure Machine Learning and AI, Azure Synapse will break down silos that exist today due to teams, data, and skills, and enable insights for all.